Disclosure: I received complimentary Tortillas to facilitate my recipe creation as well as a prize pack for my family and another to give away to a reader. All opinions are my own and/or those of family members facilitating this post.
School has started back here in Kentucky, Clay’s work hours are insane right now, I’m eating more plant based foods and less meat, the kids are picky “as all get out” and all that makes supper time ridiculously hard. I have a really hard time finding something that every one likes and is also easy to fix when we’re in a hurry. We all like wraps and most of us like burritos and fajitas so I made up a couple recipes using the new Azteca No Preservative Flour Tortillas. They seemed to go over really well!
For my vegetarian fajitas (recipe below) I used corn, black beans, mushrooms, onions, green bell pepper, cumin and chili powder. I cooked some brown rice and quinoa with a little chili powder and bell pepper and then mixed it together. I sauteed some tri-color bell peppers and green onions in a little olive oil and then assembled it all in my Azteca No Preservative Flour Tortilla. I served it with some refried beans and organic salsa.
For the steak fajitas, Clay grilled some skirt steak on the grill and then he added that and some of the quinoa mix and bell peppers and onions I’d made along with hot taco sauce and cheese. They turned out so well!
The kids like to eat theirs smothered in taco sauce and cheese. It uses very little cheese but looks super cheesy. My son will eat what we eat. He isn’t picky at all but our girls are extremely picky. 2 of them will eat bean burritos. So for them I used an Azteca No Preservative Flour Tortilla and added refried beans inside with a little taco sauce. Then on the outside I spread a TBSP of sauce over the top and a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Then I popped them in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese.
Our other daughter is the pickiest of all but she loves grilled cheese. So I took one of the Azteca No Preservative Flour Tortillas, sprinkled a little shredded cheese inside, rolled it up, closing both ends and then microwaved it to melt the cheese. You can also grill them in a little olive oil to make them more like a grilled cheese sandwich but we were strapped for time and had to really make this a quick meal.
The Azteca No Preservative Flour Tortillas are available in fajita, taco, burrito and new mini sizes and are available in the refrigerated aisle at Walmart stores. All Azteca’s No Preservative flour options contain no high fructose corn syrup, artificial colors or flavors.
Follow Azteca on Pinterest for delicious recipes and food ideas!
Ok here’s my Vegetarian Fajita recipe. Please note that I do not break my recipes down by calories and nutritional info. I just make them and eat them. I do prefer organicand natural ingredients when possible. 😀
- 1 Cup Quinoa (I use Ancient Harvest Organic Tri-Color Harmony Blend - no rinsing or soaking needed)
- 1 Cup Brown Rice (follow package directions - instant rice not recommended)
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans - rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can corn - drained
- 1 Bell peppers in your color of choice ( I used a red, yellow and green tri-color pepper) - diced
- 3 Green onions/Spring onions - both white and green parts - chopped
- ½ Cup mushrooms (optional) - diced
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 3 Bell peppers in your color of choice - sliced
- 1 Large onion - sliced into slivers
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- 1 package of Azteca No Preservative Flour Tortillas - Burrito Size
- Cook Brown Rice and Quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Saute bell peppers and onions in olive oil over medium heat or in a foil pouch on the grill until onions are translucent and peppers are soft and tender.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet on medium heat, saute corn, mushrooms, green onions and bell peppers until peppers are soft. Approx. 5 - 8 minutes
- Turn heat down to low.
- Stir in rinsed black beans, cumin and chili powder and simmer, stirring often, for 3 - 5 minutes or until black beans are hot.
- Add brown rice/quinoa mixture and mix together.
- Place 2 TBSP brown rice/corn mixture on an Azteca No Preservative Flour Tortillas.
- Top with sauteed/grilled bell peppers and onions.
- Fold one side over, then one end, then other side.
Add in banana peppers and/or jalapenos for even more flavor!
Azteca Back To School Giveaway!
Back to School Prize Pack Includes:
- $50 Walmart Gift Card
- Azteca Free Product Coupon
- Meal Planning Notepad
- Tupperware Container
- Dry Erase Wall Decal Calendar
Giveaway ends 8/28/14. Open to US residents only please. To enter follow the instructions in the Giveaway Tools widget below. Good luck!