Disclosure: I received a complimentary Auto Safety Kit as a thank you for sharing this information and hosting a giveaway. All opinions are my own.
Many are just now getting their licenses. And many will be driving to and from school in the coming weeks. It is up to us, as the parents, to make sure we teach our new drivers road rules and driving safety. It is our responsibility to make sure they know safe driving rules before we allow them to get behind the wheel.
I have some really great driving tips for your teen driver as well as a cool giveaway below.
Teen Driving Safety Tips
- Tip 1: Help your teen become a safer driver by talking openly about your expectations and rules for when they’re behind the wheel, such as never texting or using their cell phones while driving.
Consider negotiating a Teen Driving Contract that requires your teen to avoid driving dangers, such as texting, driving under the influence and not wearing a seat belt. The NAIC even has a customizable Teen Driving Contract to get you started!
- Tip 2: No matter how safe or prepared you or your teen may be, accidents happen. In the event you or your teen driver is involved in an auto accident, make sure everyone knows what steps to take to stay safe and protect their identities when exchanging information for a claim.
The NAIC’s free WreckCheck app walks you through what to do — and not do — after an accident. The app helps users collect necessary information on the spot, then immediately emails a report to your home and your insurance agent. The app can be found online at iTunes® and Google Play® or by searching “NAIC” at the iTunes store or Android market.
- Tip 3: Adding a teen driver to your auto insurance policy can be costly. Make sure both you and your teen driver understand all the insurance implications of how even minor fender-benders can add up.
Insureuonline.org is an unbiased resource to help you and your teen driver get educated about the risks and insurance implications of unsafe driving.
Some additional things you can do to help make sure your child knows you are serious about their driving safety are:
- Create your own teen driving contract with the teen driver/s in your house using the NAIC’s customizable contract.
- Download the NAIC’s free WreckCheck app (available at iTunes® and Google Play®), so you’re prepared for an accident, just in case.
- Check out this “Teen Driving 101” infographic for insurance implications, more info and statistics on teen driving.
One super duper lucky winner is going to receive an Auto Safety Kit (Items may vary from those pictured) valued at $50 and featuring:
- First aid kit
- Booster cables
- Tow straps, flashlight
- Reflective triangles
- and more
To enter, simply follow the steps in the Giveaway Tools widget below. Open to US only.
Hi! I’m Crystal Martin, a stay at home mom of 4, living in KY with my high school sweetheart husband of 20+ years. My husband and I are co-bloggers at Cinnamon Hollow where we write about homesteading, travel, beauty, our lives with our kids and pets, fun and free printables as well as the products and services that make our lives just a little bit easier – and a lot more fun!
Subscribe to our newsletter and get this FREE No Soliciting Sign in your inbox shortly after signing up!