Commercial trucks can be seen on literally all American highways. This includes tractor trailers and 18 wheelers. Such massive vehicles are needed by the economy as they move goods we all need. However, they can also end up causing huge injuries if accidents happen.
Getting compensation and pursuing justice after truck accidents are difficult things to do. You would surely need the services of truck accident lawyers but why is that? There is a very good possibility you will quickly figure out this is the case as soon as you realize there might be several defendants, including strong commercial insurance firms and large trucking companies. Dealing with such legal strength can be quite difficult.
To better understand the need of having legal representation from a truck accident lawyer in Cincinnati (or in your local area) let’s consider some important facts.
Truck Driver Fatigue
Truck driver fatigue can easily be deadly. This is because you never know when someone who is too fatigued will fall asleep at the wheel. Even when falling asleep does not happen, truck driver fatigue will lead to accidents. The CDC shows that fatigue will:
- Reduce the driver’s ability to be careful when on the road.
- Slows response and reaction times, which is particularly damaging when you have to steer or stop fast.
- Impedes judgment.
Unfortunately, truck drivers belong to a very high risk group of people that could be affected by drowsy driving.
Trucking Federal Regulations
Absolutely all commercial truck drivers need to respect guidelines set by the FMCSA. These are regulations that limit how much time the individual can drive and do include mandatory rest and sleep breaks. A truck driver can only drive for a maximum of eleven hours and only after at least ten hours of being off duty. The maximum allowed is 14 hours under special circumstances. Also, during a work week, there are restrictions to the number of hours the truck driver can drive.
Serious Injuries And Lifelong Impact
Truck accidents can cause really serious injuries. This includes:
- Amputation – due to the severity of the damage sustained to arms, feet, hands, or legs.
- Spinal cord injuries – which could leave a victim paralyzed.
- Traumatic brain injuries – which would cause permanent physical and cognitive impairments.
- Disfigurement – because of burns, deep lacerations, or necessary surgeries.
All lifecare and medical costs coming from the truck accident injuries add up very fast and can cause bankruptcy. The personal injury attorney will make sure that you receive the correct financial compensation for what you suffered.
So Should You Hire A Truck Accident Attorney?
Truck accident lawyers will help victims recover a fair compensation. They work based on contingency fees so you do not have to pay them until the claim is successful. The lack of an upfront payment is practically the main reason why you should hire the lawyer. You do not lose anything because you hire. Also, you might receive some extra very important advantages, like:
- Identifying all parties that are liable.
- Valuating all damages, including emotional and physical injuries.
- Securing testimony, evidence, and documentation so that liability can be established.
- Allowing you to stay focused on recovery and health.
Protecting all your legal rights.
Find more tips in our archives.
Meg is an author at Cinnamon Hollow. She writes on a variety of topics sharing tips and ideas for daily life.