The humble hallway is an often-neglected part of the home. When designing amazing kitchens, bedrooms and living areas, hallways often fall by the wayside. This does not have to be the case in your home, however. Use these tips to craft a beautiful hallway that is worthy of inclusion in your dream home.
- Include Color: Hallways tend to get gloomy, so use light colors to brighten them. You can make a hall extra inviting by adding bright accent colors at key locations as well.
- Whimsical Wallpaper: With so many people coming and going, hallways can get dirty quickly. Hang wallpaper with a large geometric print to help hide dirt and signs of wear and tear.
- Focus on Stairs: Stairs are already the defining feature of many hallways, so consider going the extra mile. Add a splash of bright color or a print pattern on the runner of each step.
- Gallery Wall: Gallery walls are classic hallway decor. Hang your favorite photographs or art in the hallway, varying the size of the pictures and the heights at which they are hung to keep the eye engaged.
- Brighten Up: Without a lot of windows, hallways can get dark and uninviting. Consider adding a ceiling panel or large window at either end of the hall to let in more natural light.
- Storage Space: Hallways are a great place to create extra storage, but the trick is ensuring that they don’t look cluttered. Keep storage items on shelves or in cases so they stay off the floor and out of sight.
- Hanging Space: Hooks are another great way to make your hallway do double duty as storage space. Distribute hooks along the length of the hallway to ensure that there is enough room for family members and guests to hang their coats.
- Flooring: Since hallways get so much use, choose flooring that is elegant but still hides dirt and scuff marks. Dark wood or tile is often a great choice, as it’s easy to clean.
- Add a Runner: A runner can make a cold hallway seem more inviting. Choose one that is durable, though, as it will be seeing a lot of foot traffic.
- Vary Lighting: Different kinds of lighting can help brighten the dark corners of your hallway. Consider using a variety of floor, wall and hanging lights to get the most coverage.
With just a few unique touches you can ensure that the hallways in your home are all about the journey rather than the destination.
Image Credit: Indital
Crystal is a stay-at-home- mom, living in KY with her husband and children. She is a travel and lifestyle blogger encouraging folks to live their life one adventure at a time while also focusing on beauty, health and lifestyle. From time to time she also likes to showcase her adorable pets along with her family. Along with Cinnamon Hollow she can be found at The Martin Family Adventure … read more