You don’t have to be thinking about how to survive the apocalypse in order to be wondering about water quality or how to naturally purify water at home. The simple fact is that the water that comes out of your tap may not be as clean as you think.
Water treatment works are designed to remove debris, this is achieved by using a large filter that allows the water through but prevents leaves, bugs, and other items from getting past. The water is then treated to kill bacteria and other pathogens in the water. This is usually achieved by adding chlorine and is the reason why your water has a distinctive smell.
Alongside the chlorine, you’ll find that most treatment centers add fluoride. This is a controversial substance as some scientists suggest it is beneficial for bone and teeth health, while others suggest that fluoride can actually increase the risk of cancer.
If you’re not sure whether you want these chemicals in your water then you can’t ask the water treatment to remove them, you have to do that yourself at home. That’s where the reverse osmosis filter comes into play.
This type of filter removes almost all water contaminants, such as dissolved solids, chlorine, fluoride, rust, and even heavy metals. Best of all, it doesn’t cost a fortune, allowing any home to have clean and safe drinking water. The filter is made up of natural ingredients.
There are actually 5 stages in the reverse osmosis process:
- Removal of rust and sludge, this occurs as the water goes through the pre-filter
- Chlorine and other chemicals are removed by the activated carbon filter, the same substance that is used in many household water filters
- The smallest particles, known as microparticles, are then removed as the water passes through a very fine membrane, known as a TFC RO membrane
- Dust and fine grains are then removed as the water goes through a prolonged contact filter section, extending the time it takes to filter water, but it’s worth the wait.
- Carbon polishing filter makes sure that all unwanted substances are removed and the water tastes fantastic.
Of course, there are other methods to naturally purify your water:
Collect some fresh cilantro and grind it up. Then make your own filter, such as un upturned bottle, and pour your water through it. The cilantro will remove heavy metals and chemicals and is surprisingly effective.
Pine bark or Branch
Pine is actually a great water filter, simply place pieces of bark into an upturned plastic bottle with one half cut off, then pour your water through the pine pieces, it is very effective at removing debris and bacteria.
The filters you purchase for your home are made from charcoal which has been activated to increase the surface area and improve their ability to absorb chemicals. You can simply fill your upturned half bottle with charcoal and pour the water through it to clean it. You’ll be surprised at how much difference it makes to the taste.