I vacuum every day. Every Single. Day. Clay and I have lived in our current home for 7 years. It is fully carpeted, with the exception of the bathrooms and kitchen. Even the dining room is carpeted – not my choice. (TIP: NEVER carpet your dining room especially if you have kids!) This carpet was here when we moved in. And it wasn’t in the best shape then. After 7 years of 6 people, high traffic and pets it’s really sad. I think I’ve even heard it cry.
If you have carpet my number one tip I recommend is a really good vacuum. This is one instance where you get what you pay for so I really recommend investing in a good, higher priced vacuum. A few years ago you wouldn’t have heard me say that. I was convinced that my trusty old blue vacuum was all I needed. After trying a higher end vacuum, though, I’ve changed my mind. My carpet thanked me. I heard it! :0)
I was sent a complimentary Dyson Small Ball™ vacuum to test out. I just knew it wasn’t going to love up to the hype. How could anything be better than my current vacuum? The one I’ve always turned to when all else failed. I just knew that there was no way that tiny little light weight upright vacuum could handle this carpet and all the dog and cat hair, kid mess and daily foot traffic. I was wrong. There. I said it.
I tested this vacuum out every day for 2 weeks. It picked up so much yuck! Lint, dust, pet hair, human hair… all the stuff you find in carpet. It picked up tons more than my other vacuum does. I had to empty the canister a couple of times on the first day. Not because it is small but because it picked that much up. I had vacuumed the day before with my old one. I had no idea there was that much down there! It grossed me out.
After a couple of days there wasn’t so much. The Dyson Small Ball™ had picked up so much that my other had left behind. I was in shock.
The Dyson Small Ball™ is super small. The handle is retractable so it saves a ton of storage space. It would be perfect in apartments and tiny homes. Being so small, I really didn’t have high hopes that it would pick much up so you can image how surprised I was at how powerful that thing is.
It has this really cool cyclone technology to capture more dirt and microscopic dust. There are 19 cyclones over 2 tiers, in fact. That’s a lot of swirling, dirt sucking action right there!
Also, Dyson upright vacuums have whole-machine HEPA filtration, capturing over 99% of pollen, mold, and bacteria – keeping them trapped in the bin. With all the vacuuming I’ve been doing and the fact that it has pulled up so much pet hair form the carpet, my allergies are much better than they were a few weeks ago. I can really tell a difference!
This vacuum weighs just 12.15lbs. When you turn it on it is incredibly easy to push. My kids could use this vacuum with no problem. It is so lightweight and easy to maneuver. With that ball it pivots easily when I need to move around furniture. I feel like I can rotate it in any direction. It just seems to glide over the carpet. It has a magnet that is a new feature. The magnet lock in the ball lets you snap it back into the upright position and keep it there.
It is 30% quieter than its predecessor. I’m not sure how loud the older one was but this one is super quiet. I wasn’t expecting that either. Jasper (our pup) barks at it and tries to eat but Honey (our cat) could care less. It’ really a lot quieter and the sound doesn’t seem to bother her at all. That’s so cool! It also has a 25% longer cleaning reach with the cable, wand and hose extending to 42 ft. I can get a lot further throughout the house with this vacuum that I can my old one. The cord is really long.
The hose attachment is really cool too. The handle of the Dyson Small Ball™ is the wand attachment! It is tucked down inside and you just flip it over, open the end and attach the hose to it. Simple. I love being able to suck dirt and cobwebs off my ceiling, tops of my curtains, baseboards, etc. That hose is long enough to reach it all.
It comes with a crevice tool and brush attachment that are made together and clip onto the side.. You just slide the brush down until it clicks into place. I was always losing the brush to my old vacuum’s. Not any more.
There is an advanced self-adjusting cleaner head that seals in suction across all floors
The canister is very easy to empty. There is a button on the top by the carrying handle that you push to release it from the base. Then hold the canister over the trash and push that button in further to release the bottom, emptying the contents in to the trash.
There is latch on the top that gives you access to the filter. You can also open the top of the canister to clean it out.
The one and only negative thing for me is that the carrying handle feels a bit flimsy to me. It’s plastic and pulls a little when you lift it. At first I was afraid it would break but so far, so good.
The Dyson Small Ball™ is a limited edition vacuum and is available exclusively on Amazon.com.
Dyson Small Ball™ Vacuum Facts & Figures:
- Radial Root Cyclone™ technology: Designed to maximize power. A mesh shroud helps separate large debris, with inner cyclones generating powerful centrifugal forces. Every angle of each airway is honed to ensure microscopic particles like pollen and mold are separated from the airflow.
- Testing: Dyson upright vacuums are subjected to 550 tests over 50,000 hours. During development a Dyson vacuum will be dropped onto a hard floor 5,318 times. It will run 847 miles on a turntable rig; nearly the equivalent of a trip from Chicago to New York City.
- Patents: There are currently 304 patents and 481 pending patent applications worldwide relating to technology used in the Dyson Ball™ range of vacuum cleaners.
- Maneuverability: In addition to the motor and filter, ducting, valves and the stand have been engineered into the ball, making it even easier to turn the tightest of corners.
- Acoustics: 30% quieter than our previous small upright machine, the machine is acoustically re-engineered to reduce noise and improve sound quality.
- Cleaning reach: 45% longer cleaning reach than our previous small upright machine. Cable, wand and hose extend to 12.96m.
- Height: Saves storage space. The machine is just 2.6 ft. tall with the handle retracted.
- Hygienic bin emptying: Just push the button to release the dirt directly into the bin.
- Warranty: Comes with a 5 year parts and labor warranty.
- Price: $399.99
- Availability: February 28, 2016 on Amazon.com and Dyson.com.
I can honestly say that I have fallen head over heels in love with this vacuum. It is small but it is one heck of a mighty machine!
Have you ever used a Dyson? Leave me a comment and lets chat!
Hi! I’m Crystal Martin, a stay at home mom of 4, living in KY with my high school sweetheart husband of 20+ years. My husband and I are co-bloggers at Cinnamon Hollow where we write about homesteading, travel, beauty, our lives with our kids and pets, fun and free printables as well as the products and services that make our lives just a little bit easier – and a lot more fun!
Subscribe to our newsletter and get this FREE No Soliciting Sign in your inbox shortly after signing up!