Let me first start this post by stating that I am not a doctor. This is in no way meant to be used as medical advice. If you suspect you may have a UTI, GO TO THE DOCTOR AND SEEK MEDICAL TREATMENT!!! With that said, I do have some tips to help prevent urinary tract infections. If you get one, though, seriously, go to the doctor. They are very, very serious!
Ok, so our middle daughter is very susceptible to getting a UTI. In fact, all 3 of our daughters and myself are pretty susceptible. Our middle daughter had a couple last year and since then, we’ve learned what typically causes them for her as well as some ways to help prevent her from getting a urinary tract infection.
She seems to always get one after swimming in the summer, after using a hot tub on vacation and when taking a bubble bath. All the girls in this family love taking long, hot soaks in the tub but I banned bubble baths, bath bombs and bath additives a long time ago for this very reason. I will occasionally allow a bath bomb but make sure a good shower follows the soak, rinsing really well.
Here are a few tips I have to prevent urinary tract infections.
- Identify activities, foods, etc that cause you urinary tract irritation. For instance, my daughter has problems after swimming or soaking. I have problems after consuming a lot of sugar, which I no longer use. As a child, I couldn’t eat strawberries or drink sodas. It was weird but I’d get a UTI every time!
- Shower and rinse well immediately after activity. If swimming or soaking in a hot tub causes UTI’s for you, remember to always shower immediately after performing one of those activities. And rinse “there” really well with warm water. Then pat completely dry!
- Urinate before and after sexual activity. Yes folks, emptying your bladder before and after can help reduce the risk of a UTI. A good shower after helps too!
- Block the bacteria. (We received a sample to try and it worked!) Uqora (for woman AND men) is a natural, safe, pink-lemonade flavored drink mix that works to block bacteria, increase urinary flow and boost immunity to keep UTIs at bay.
Whether women drink Uqora after sex, when they feel a UTI coming on, after a trip to the lake, while traveling, post-gym or every morning to finally banish recurring UTIs, the on-the-go formula makes it simple to use Uqoraanytime, anywhere, regardless of how many UTIs they get.
We just got back from a week long trip to the beach. So, lot’s of swimming in the ocean as well as in our beach house swimming pool. I had our daughter drink a packet of Uqora each evening before bed the week we were there as well as when we returned. So far, no signs of a UTI! And last time, she had one before we ever made it home. So score one for Uqora!
Uqora is vegan, does not contain any known food allergens or gluten. In addition, Uqora is caffeine free, sugar-free, hypoallergenic and soy free.
- Cranberry Juice. Honesetly and personally, we’ve tried drinking cranberry juice and:
- 1.) We dont’ like it. Eww.
- 2.) It never worked for us. Cranberry supplements help but I’m not sure that juice would but we do take probiotics just in case the old tale it true. 😉
- Don’t hold your pee! Seriously folks, when you have to go, go. It is not a good idea to hold your urine. It can cause issues with your kidney’s, bladder, etc. So if you have to go, please try to get to the restroom asap!
- Wipe front to back. Girls, you know this. You’ve been taught this your entire lives. ALWAYS wipe front to back and NOT from back to front. This helps keep bacteria from the rear from entering places it shouldn’t be. So wipe from front to back. Simple.
Ok, there you have it. My tips for preventing urinary tract infections before they have a chance to start. If you have back pain, painful urination, itching or burning in that area, fever, etc… GO TO THE DOCTOR! . UTI’s can include infections in the urinary tract, bladder and even the kidney’sBacterial infections are very serious and can lead to kidney damage or even death. So if you even think you have UTI starting, go to the Doctor!
What are some tips you have for preventing urinary tract infections?
Hi! I’m Crystal Martin, a stay at home mom of 4, living in KY with my high school sweetheart husband of 20+ years. My husband and I are co-bloggers at Cinnamon Hollow where we write about homesteading, travel, beauty, our lives with our kids and pets, fun and free printables as well as the products and services that make our lives just a little bit easier – and a lot more fun!
Subscribe to our newsletter and get this FREE No Soliciting Sign in your inbox shortly after signing up!