Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting (#MC) for MedImmune Specialty Care. I received a promotional item as a thank you for participating.
I have some top tips for flu prevention for you from MedImmune Specialty Care and Elizabeth Pantley
Has the flu bug hit your house this year? It hasn’t hit here this year, yet, but it did last year. We have some routines that we follow that we skipped a few times and I swear that is when we all got sick. All 6 of us had the flu and it was miserable. Aches, chills, fever, cough, headache and body aches. I had a moment where I almost passed out. I did collapse onto the floor in the bathroom and had to lay there for several minutes before I could get up and crawl to the bed. It was very scary!
Did you know that flu season runs between October and May¹? I didn’t know it went that long. The CDC recommends getting your child vaccinated against the flu each year. I know there is a lot of controversy regarding vaccines but even though we’ve never done the flu shot, we do other vaccinations in our household. But after last years bout with the flu, Clay and I are seriously considering getting it for the entire family. And soon. Because flu season is already here!
Did you also know that flu germs can live on surfaces for up to eight hours.² EIGHT HOURS ON SURFACES! That’s just crazy. After last year, we disinfect like crazy. I don’t want to reduce all our immunities and germ fighting abilities but I do want to prevent the flu in any ways possible.
Here are some tips that we follow that really helps in our family, when we don’t skip them.
- Washing hands with soap and water regularly. Especially after using the restroom and before eating.
- Hand sanitize after shopping. I keep hand sanitizer in the car and in my purse and we use it immediately after leaving a store.
- Hand sanitize after pumping gas. Same as above. Clay uses it immediately after putting gas in the car.
- Antibacterial tissues. My kids have a super bad habit of throwing their used tissues around. YUCK! Hopefully, the antibacterial ones kill the germs they put on them before it hits any surfaces.
- Coughing/sneezing into their shirt. This might sound gross but I feel like it spreads less by coughing down your own neckline of your shirt than by coughing into your elbow, as recommended. I’ve been beside someone who coughed into their elbow and felt a huge gush of air so I KNOW it didn’t contain anything that came out of their mouth. Down the shirt works much better, in my opinion.
- Kids – DON’T drink from the water fountain at school if at all possible
- Kids – DON’T share pencils, pens, etc.
- Don’t share foods and beverages. Not even with each other here at home, just in case.
I am NOT a doctor or medical professional. These are strictly my own tips. They may not work for you/your family but they do work for mine and you are welcome to try them for yourselves and see if they help.
Check out this Top Tips for Flu Prevention infographic!
Along with my own tips, I have found a great resource with TONS of info regarding the flu and ways to avoid it, what to look for and common side effects of both the flu and the flu vaccine. You should totally check out Elizabeth Pantley’s ebooklet, “A Parent’s Guide to Flu Season”. There is a load of info in there.
What are some tips you have for staying flu-free this year?
¹U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Seasonal Flu. https://www.flu.gov/about_the_flu/seasonal/index.html. Accessed April 30, 2013.
²National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Transmission. https://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/Flu/understandingFlu/Pages/transmission.aspx. Accessed April 30, 2013.
Hi! I’m Crystal Martin, a stay at home mom of 4, living in KY with my high school sweetheart husband of 20+ years. My husband and I are co-bloggers at Cinnamon Hollow where we write about homesteading, travel, beauty, our lives with our kids and pets, fun and free printables as well as the products and services that make our lives just a little bit easier – and a lot more fun!
Subscribe to our newsletter and get this FREE No Soliciting Sign in your inbox shortly after signing up!